Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Friday, July 11, 2008

Cháo gà

I am well aware that I never finished part 2 of
Adventures in Pho post. I never explained why. I was hoping to try again with tastier results, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Let me just say that my first try at Pho was unpleasant. I will try again sometime. I'll keep you posted on that one.

Anyway, I tried another Vietnamese recipe tonight. This time I was very pleased with the final results. This newest culinary adventure brought me to Cháo gà (Vietnamese Rice Porridge with Chicken). There are many types of thick rice soups found in Asia. The key to this dish is "Comfort Food". Think a steaming hot bowl of chicken noodle soup or chicken and dumplings, when you aren't feeling well. It is valued for it's healing properties, a cure for what ails you.

It goes by many names and is served with different toppings depending on the country. Check out Things Asian for more information about this traditional dish.

The recipe I used can be found on the blog Halfway Between Ca Mau and Sai Gon. (It just so happens that our son is currently in an orphanage "Halfway Between Ca Mau and Sai Gon") Anyway, I was really happy with this recipe. It was very similar in taste to the homemade chicken and dumplings I make. The texture was different, obviously, but it was very comforting. It was a very simple dish, and required few ingredients. I cooked mine longer as the author suggested. It made for a thick and hearty dish. I have already saved this recipe. I see myself making this for our little boy when he is feeling under the weather.

I highly recommend this recipe. You should especially give it a try if you are expecting a little sweetie from Vietnam. Many babies are fed a version of Cháo in the orphanages. Please, let me know what you think.

Adoption Update - There aren't a lot of updates for us at this stage. It has been almost six weeks since we were matched with our baby boy. Our referral is estimated to take 6 - 8 weeks from the match. So, it could be anytime now, but likely at least a week or two. Our expired documents have been re-done and sent to the Embassy for authentication. We have filed for an extension of our I-600A pre-approval. There isn't a lot to do now, but wait. We did get a dresser to match the baby's crib. I can finally put the finishing touches on the nursery.

I think about our baby all the time. It's particularly hard when I try to get to sleep. I just pray that he's getting the attention and care that he needs, and that God will protect and comfort him. Please keep our little peanut in your prayers. A.

No comments: